vLite on already installed Vista?

Start_16

Gonna just say explore imagex capture and WAIK WinPE, maybe it's possible.

Yea, imagex capture should/could work but there's also the possibility that if vLite in the future had the option to look in a folder/drive for the .wim contents instead of going into an install.wim, it could just make the changes to the "extracted" files on the spot as long as the person is booted into another OS. No idea if it would work correctly though.

Arneh, yeah it would work, had that one in todo for quite some time but the fear of messing it up and then person can't boot that OS kinda keeps me away from the idea.

It's easy for us to test virtually but when it comes to annoyance-ultra when one can't boot the system...

Or I should go by the comfort of thinking that they usually have Restore CD or they can backup before tampering with it,hmm? :)

Arneh, yeah it would work, had that one in todo for quite some time but the fear of messing it up and then person can't boot that OS kinda keeps me away from the idea.

It's easy for us to test virtually but when it comes to annoyance-ultra when one can't boot the system...

Or I should go by the comfort of thinking that they usually have Restore CD or they can backup before tampering with it,hmm? :)

Yea, it is risky, but since the person probably has to be dual booting in order to do that the procedure and it would be best if that was made mandatory, at least they'll have another OS to boot into. I guess there could be another option of somehow making a System Restore point that could somehow be manually restored using vLite in case things go screwy OR vLite making a .wim of the orig. drive as a backup then proceeding with the changes and if things go screwy, one could just apply the backed up wim.

Edited by Arneh

I also wanted to do this! Is it possible? So much bloat not only from MS OS, but also from Dell.

I have the restore CD's to include the Vista OS and Dell's stuff, can I wipe the laptop completely and use the restore cd's with a copy of the vLite in hand? Not sure if image on machine would allow anything to go on prior to "install disk #1 of the restore cd".