regedit changes that will only apply to certain users

Vince4Amy

Because I usually deal with Linux, the Windows registry is beyond me sometimes. There are some customisations I need to carry out on a machine, however how can I set this to only apply to a certain user(s). As to what I understand HKEY_CURRENT_USER only applies to the person logged on. Is there any way I can change registry settings that will only apply to certain user profiles on this machine, without having to log on and launch regedit on each account.

The system is set up like this:

Windows XP Home Edition Sp2

5 user profiles, 4 limited, 1 administrator, of course there's the hidden Admin account that WXP has.

There are registry settings I'd like applied to the 4 limited accounts, however I don't want these to affect the Admin accounts.

There are ways to use script (documented well in a google search) on how to open a user's ntuser.dat file from his profile path (ntuser.dat is the user's HKCU hive, in file form) and make modifications without being logged in as that user via the reg.exe utility. I would look into this, as this command-line utility will allow you to do what you are looking to do.