Vista says "Key in use" after hardware change

mx2k

Hello @ all,

got a problem, need a solution please :whistle:

ok, i got a new graphics card for my pc, inserted it and did a fresh install of my vista ultimate system builder edition.

when i want to activate it, it says the cd-key i entered is already in use and offers me to either enter another key or buy a new one. how ridiculous! and it just leaves me 3 days for activation.

in the past, i already reinstalled this vista several times (no hardware changes thou) and it always activated correctly.

so is there any fast and nice solution to this problem, should i call the microsoft hotline or am i supposed to buy a new license?

thanks

-markus

so is there any fast and nice solution to this problem, should i call the microsoft hotline or am i supposed to buy a new license?

If it really is the same system with just a new video card, contact Microsoft and get them to free up your key (or give you a new one), and that should be fine. If the system is markedly different from the last install (like a new motherboard, hard drive, etc), you'll probably not get a new key from Microsoft and will need to buy a new license. Again, if it's just a video card replacement, contact Microsoft and get it cleared up.