HID-compliant device issue on WinXP SP2 - No USB mice

microfiche

USB mice do not work. They show up as unknown device under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager. WinXP SP2. I cannot figure out what I did in nLite. I have come so far; is there a way for me to restore this functionality without re-installing the whole OS and all my apps?

Thanks!

I have posted in the nLite forum, but I thought it might be more appropriate here. Sorry for cross-postinig; I will consolodate down to one after a resolution.

I used to have problems with that until I successfully fixed it long time ago, but I don't quite remember how.

Did you remove any services?

Do you have the file named hidserv.dll in system32?

I used to have problems with that until I successfully fixed it long time ago, but I don't quite remember how.

Did you remove any services?

Do you have the file named hidserv.dll in system32?

Yes, it is present and has not been modified since 8/4/2004. Thanks.

With NLite + a lot of hotfixes, at one time I had a similar problem. When windows file protection was left enabled (the default), device manager picked up USB Human Interface Device (or something simiral) instead of USB Mouse, although both drivers were from windows. The solution was to "update driver" and manually choose USB mouse. Or to disable (patch) windows file protection.

Might not apply to your case. Also, might be fixed in newer versions of NLite (I don't remember).

GL