Shell32.dll ?

kizancie

the file is linked to missing exportShell32.dll:SHGetFolderPathA

a device attached to this system is not running

Have searched everywhere, to no avail. I download a game that meets my sys req. it installs, then i click on it to play and i get the error message. I have the file shell32.dll in my windows/system folder the version is 4.72.3812.600

i have gone to emachine techs i have etower 500is win98se. they have no idea how to fix. I have this post in another forum but still nothing resolved. I did SFC to restore file from the disk that came with pc. Said it was not there. So i found one at dll-downloads and that turned my pc SWEDISH. so i reformatted and reinstalled win98. still getting same error. I came across The unofficial win98update file here. Could that help me. Thanks for your time Kiz

Hmmm .....

the file is linked to missing exportShell32.dll:SHGetFolderPathA

That function is not originally available on windows98 shell32.dll ... It's inside shfolder.dll ... The game developer may not be aware of that condition.

There's two (and perhaps more) possible solution to this. The two available current options are :

1. Install KernelEx to add that function, from here (easiest method):

http://www.msfn.org/board/KernelEx-v032a-r...sed-t71476.html

2. Install RP7.1, from here (major overhaul method):

http://www.msfn.org/board/Revolutions-Pack...-SE-t58357.html

Both have their pros and cons but will make that particular function available. If your windows version is english then there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Be advised that YMMV ...

Rgds

Posted Today, 04:11 PM

Thank You so much-I did the Install Kernel X and for the first time I clicked on a game I downloaded and it STARTED without any shell32.dll error. Thank you, Thank you Kiz

Hello again-I'm getting another message when Windows starts and when I click on a downloaded game. I'm sure it's just because I forgot to do something.

" the prodedure SHCreateDirectoryExW could not be located in the DLL Shell32.dll.

thank you again for your time, Kiz

Edited by kizancie

Hmmm .....

the prodedure SHCreateDirectoryExW could not be located in the DLL Shell32.dll.

Same condition as previously, the function is not implemented on windows 98 shell32 ... It is non existent if I'm not mistaken. For that function to work, you'll need RP7 ...

Rgds

I'm sure it's just because I forgot to do something.

You couldn't be more wrong there if you tried real hard.

Errors like:

the prodedure SHCreateDirectoryExW could not be located in the DLL Shell32.dll

should give you the calling file by name which is the one with the real problem - that is the one that doesn't belong on your system as in, it is from XP or somesuch and is not a 98 file at all. Your shell32.dll is probably just fine or at least it was until you started messing with it?

So a discussion about replacing your shell32.dll file should be a moot point entirely. But please do get the right one properly installed. Version 4.72.3812.600 shell32.dll is inside update 313828 also known as the March 7, 2002 update that can be found at the Windows Update Catalog site. You should be able to just re-apply the update to have version 4.72.3812.600 shell32.dll properly placed for you after a reboot.

You can use Dependency Walker to hunt down the various procedures in your own files and verify their versions according to the list given in your Windows\INF folder under the layout.inf series of files which will give you the CAB number for each Windows file you have.

Things will work a lot better as soon as you quit replacing the wrong file(s) and do the right ones instead. :rolleyes: