Internet Explorer 7 - Frequent Crash and Hangup :(

morland

This problem has been occurring rather frequently and is now driving me nuts. Every now and then, and when I have about 5/6 tabs open in IE 7 (7.0.5730.11), IE either crashes or simply hangs.... Is there anything that I can do to permanently fix this problem. I have windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates till now.

Will be very very thankful if you can help me get out of this misery.

I got 2 GB RAM. Just gathered from some either forum that this problem probably is because of some faulty add-in. I have disabled all add-ins and will now monitor the behavior of IE for a few days otherwise will probably switch to Fire Fox.

Internet Explorer hangs and crashes are almost always caused by something 3rd party added in, just like most any application hang or crash. If running with the -extoff command line parameter doesn't work (iexplore.exe -extoff), then consider getting a dump of it when it's hung and seeing what you've got loaded.

Also, IE could actually be running fine otherwise, but thread 0 in the process could be blocked on something - thread 0 is the UI thread (amongst other things) for most apps, so when thread 0 gets blocked waiting for something else in-process to complete, the app will appear to "hang" (because the UI thread is stuck), but it's still running. I know it's not much help to you now without a dump, but that is very likely what is happening.