Vista crashes after update

zetto

yeah i reinstalled vista and it worked for awhile. but crashed again and it keeps saying that the windows/system32/config/system is eother missing or corrupted what the hell is going on

Well, it's saying your HKLM\System hive is corrupt or missing. I'd say that if you reinstall Windows on that drive and it keeps occuring, you either have something you keep installing that is corrupting the system hive, or a bad disk. If you really only reinstalled Vista and the problem happened, I'd return the drive as defective. If you're doing the same installs over again after installing Vista, I'd at least be suspicious of some software package.

• 6 months later...

if read the internet a little and i think its the fault of dell

every time someone is saying he/she got this crashing they say it a dell computer

ive got a dell to and i got the crashes to

i know its 1 bad update

i read somewhere it was update KB943899

i know its not a securety update

im going to delete that update and then restart my laptop

will add if it worked

added

problem solved

its doesn't crash anymore when i try to start vista

so if your computer crash when booting (starting up windows vista)

go to configuaration then updates

history of updates and then installed updates

delete the update KB943899 there

if its a bit hard to read sorry

my english isn't that good

Edited by WesleyJansen1988

i argee

the updates of vista are mostly bringing problems and not solving them

my girl has a acer and still got problems with some updates

just update your drivers nothing else

just wandering how microsoft is planning to get vista unbugged if everyone must turn there updates off

Unless you're still running Vista RTM, this statement makes no sense. If you're still having trouble with Vista after SP1+updates, you should probably start looking elsewhere for the root of your problems than Vista.

• 4 weeks later...
Didn't work. I've updated drivers, no dice, still crashes. I decided to install updates one by one and found out that KB943899 is the culprit. It's supposed to be a reliability update! What a load of crock, it fubars my Vista installation instead of making it more 'reliable'. Jeez! :(

Edit: I've done some research, apparently MS replaces Intel SATA AHCI driver with that update, and it crashes on reboot on notebook drives (dell in particular). WTF was MS thinking when designing such an update?

Excellent bit of advice, many thanks. I'd just built a Dell Vostro 1500 after a disk fail, with Vista Business, installed all the drivers, patched with all the Microsoft latest patches (65 to date) and blue screened on reboot. Tried ERD etc, but doesn't see any disk partitions or anything, so rebuilt again, this time used the drivers rfom Dell website instead of Resource CD, patched and it crashed again. This time I made a few adjustments in BIOS and changed to ATA instead of AHCI, and rebuilt again, this time installed approx 40 patches thinking the latest patches were the ones that caused the crash, but I was wrong, on reboot it BSOD'd again. This time it didn't automatically reboot as I'd disabled the Automatic reboot on error, so I could see the error message, it looked like Memory address errors, so I ripped one stick of memory out, installed another and it booted fine. Rebooted to test and it crashed again. I realised that it was reboot it didn't like, Shutdown, then powering on worked fine.

When I read the above post about removing KB943899 I thought I'd give it a go, and it works like a dream. I can restart, shutdown, hibernate the lot!

Muchos Gracias Amigo.

The system now has all Microsoft atches and I've hidden KB943899

Edited by Radfaldo

This hotfix is included in Vista SP1. If you're seeing this as an available update (first available in October of 2007), you are definitely not running SP1. Vista RTM (even with the "reliability patches" applied) is still FAR from stable compared to SP1.

if read the internet a little and i think its the fault of dell

every time someone is saying he/she got this crashing they say it a dell computer

ive got a dell to and i got the crashes to

i know its 1 bad update

i read somewhere it was update KB943899

i know its not a securety update

im going to delete that update and then restart my laptop

will add if it worked

added

problem solved

its doesn't crash anymore when i try to start vista

so if your computer crash when booting (starting up windows vista)

go to configuaration then updates

history of updates and then installed updates

delete the update KB943899 there

if its a bit hard to read sorry

my english isn't that good

Yes, Dell storage drivers are the cause. Update to the very latest versions (posted after January 2008) and this should resolve the issues. You'll need these to run SP1 anyway, which you should be doing unless you have some specific reason you can't run SP1. Running Vista RTM at this point is just crazy without a good reason (like, some app doesn't run with SP1 installed, for instance).

you can instal all updates just not updates supose to improve vista

they will mostly bug vista -_-

If SP1 was installed and not trying to prop up the RTM version, these issues would not even be issues to begin with.