Printing with word processors

Shiron

Running Windows XP with all the required "stuff" including SP2. However

I cannot print from MS Word, Notepad, or Word pad.....but I can print from

the internet and my e-mail messages.

Does anyone know why????

I have searched and found and deleted the "Normal.dot" file in Word,

restarted it and still cannot print from Word. I have no idea where to go from here

I thought I would be able to print using Notepad or Wordpad, but no go with

either of those either. Help!!!

Thanks

Ron

Do any of these applications know of the existance of your printer and at least try to print? In any case what error message do you get? You could just delete your printer and reinstall. B)

Edited by FAT64

Yeah, you need to provide more info, like..

Does the printer show up when you click on print? Are you using the quick print button or the print button? If you use quick print, you wont' get a dialog - it will simply start the print process on your default printer. Use regular print button from File menu for the dialog.

How many printers are installed? More than one? Are there any printer services like Adobe PDF printer? Which printer is default?

All word processors recognize the printer and "TRY" to print in fact it sounds like the cartridges are working but nothing prints it is a blank page....now dont say anything about ink levels they are full...if fact I can print from my e-mail and the Web pages but nothing on any word processors (Word, Notepad, or Wordpad)

One question - does print preview work in one of these apps? Those use the print drivers to display the file (IE does not), so if that fails then we'd know it was a problem talking to the spoolsv.exe process for some reason.

OK, so the communication with the print spooler and the driver is working, so I'd bet a print processor or print monitor is causing this. Can you delete all of the queues, uninstall all of the drivers (from the printers/faxes applet, click File > Server Properties, click the "Drivers" tab, and uninstall all drivers listed), then just install a generic text-only printer and try that?