Vista install from CD fails

lUp

Hi,

my moms computer needs a refresh, so I decided to install Vista Ultimate instead of XP. The Problem is, that only a cd drive (no DVD) is installed.

Therefore I tried to split a vLited Image onto CDs using the most current (1.1RC) version. That resulted in 3 discs, the first looked as normal, the second contains an install2.swm inside a sources folder, the third an install3.swm.

So i put in the first disc, booted from it, partitioned the drive into 2 partitions and hit next. The copy process started, went all the way to 100% (which already left me wondering, no questions about a second or third disc), then switched to "expanding" and stopped with an errormessage, stating that C:\[long string]\install.swm was not found and that I should check if all files were present and restart setup. Hitting ok rebooted the system. A second try resulted in the same procedure.

So, what did I do wrong? I found a german tutorial on the net with lots of screenshots, and there the setup asked for a second, third ( and so on) disc by itself. The described process didn't differ from mine.

Any help regarding this?

thanks in advance

lUp

edit: did a second set of CDs with a little less unattended settings. same problem, setup states that it cannot "access" install.swm (not "not find"). Also before the copy process starts it just states for some seconds "please stay with the computer until all discs are read" and afterwards "all information is gathered. the system will be restarted during the installation process". The tutorial I found (from tomshardwareguide.de) showed, that the "stay with the computer" text stayed the whole time.

maybe this helps

Last_Session.ini

Edited by lUp

I just tried it now and it's true.

Then I deleted the Autounattend.xml file from the folder root, Split again to remake ISOs and it works!

So it's somehow the Unattended settings, please delete the file and remake until the next version, I'll see what causes it and warn or detect when Split is used, thx.

• 3 weeks later...