Cannot Login WinXP Home after IE7

rodommoc

I have a laptop with XP Home. The user installed IE7 now it logs in and right back out to the Welcome screen.

It is NOT “wsaupdater.exe”

The issue is: my client was having problems with IE6 so she installed IE7. I don’t know if the install finished or not. But now the laptop boots to the Welcome screen and she clicks her user account and it logs into windows and logs off right away. It comes back to the Welcome Screen. The same thing in Safe mode with her account as well as the Administrator account.

I used a Reatogo boot disk with ERD2005 to boot and did the following:

* Checked the registry for USERINIT and it is %windir%\system32\userinit.exe,

* Copied the Userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe (just in case it was the wsaupdater.exe problem)

* Used Locksmith to give the user and administrator a password (1 forum said blank password could cause this)

* Cleared out the event logs (Another forum said a full event log would cause this)

* Used ERDs Autoruns and it says it cannot find c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe (userinit.exe is there in the system32 directory)

* When I first booted with the Reatogo CD the SYSTEM32 directory was hidden. I unhid it but that did not make a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks but that was not it.

I looked at the startup group, looked in the registry at run and run once, and looked at ERDs autoruns.

I did find a few weird items in the autoruns and I deleted them. and it still does not boot.

I'm getting ready to just reOS it if I can't figure it out..

Any more ideas would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

I would like to boot the laptop into MsConfig diagnostics mode. How would I do that from a BartPe disk or from command line?

I’m gonna add /safeboot:minimal /sos to my boot.ini but I don’t think that will put the laptop into the full diags mode.

I opened msconfig from my BArtPE disk but I cant select diagnostics mode. I can select Normal or Selective mode but that is it. And when I add /safeboot:minimal to the boot.ini it would not let me save the changes, I will manually edit the file and add the switches.

Thanks