Issue with renaming files on network shares

Loafer72

Hi. I have a windows 2003 Standard (SP2) and windows XP (SP2) Laptops. I have several folders on the server that I share on the network. Users can access those folders from the client PC but cannot edit files. They get the "disk is full or write protected" error, even though FULL access is granted.

If I give full access to the user under "Security" tab as well then user can edit files. Any ideas how to fix this issue? Is AD or ACL corrupt and how to repair it? Thanks

big question is there any deny write permissions setup? those will override permit on the folders that you have shared. what does a RSOP of a user that is having issue show you? what permissions is it showing that they are being given?

big question is there any deny write permissions setup? those will override permit on the folders that you have shared. what does a RSOP of a user that is having issue show you? what permissions is it showing that they are being given?

So true..there is more to a Server than just clicking on 'full access'...its like a bank gives you full access to the lobby of the bank...but the vault is another 'security tab'....LOL

Thank you for your reply. I do not have folder quota setup and No Deny write permission setup either. I believe this all started after I did a system restore. I was thinking that it messed up AD somehow. Also, if the users create any new files/folder, they can do anything with it (rename/delete). It's only the existing files that are having issues. Thanks again

You might want to modify the "owner" acl on the files and folders, as that could affect it (perhaps make the owners the actual group the users are a member of - I've seen restores make everything owned by "administrators", which can have an effect on renames and deletes).