Adding multiple user accounts using useraccounts.cmd

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I searched and found code that will prompt for manually adding new users, but nothing really specific about adding unattended mode multiple user accounts in the useraccounts.cmd file. It would be helpful if the guide included this info along with setting up a single user.

I need to add two users... both with admin rights, one with a password, one without.

The kramden ID is only used as a backup login in case the user forgets their password.

The user "System Owner" would create their own password if desired, so I want it to be left

blank at installation time.... hence the "*"

Here's my useraccounts.cmd file:

net user kramden passwordhere /add
net localgroup Administrators kramden /add
net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited
net user "System Owner" * /add
net localgroup Administrators "System Owner" /add
net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited

REGEDIT /S autologon.reg
EXIT

I'm not sure if the 'net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited" needs to be in there

2x (once for each account), or if just having it at the very end would apply to both accounts?

The default login account would be System Owner...

Here's the autologon.reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="System Owner"
"DefaultPassword"="*"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

Do these files look Ok for what I want to do, or am I way off base?

BTW.....I'm loading Windows XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.....!

Edited by ki_supergeek

I am using the same method but when I test it in Virtual PC 2007 it still prompts me for the username during setup and it does some very unexpected things like not using the video drivers or lan drivers that should be the correct ones. Is this something with Virtual PC?

I am using the same method but when I test it in Virtual PC 2007 it still prompts me for the username during setup

Where does it prompt you for a username during the installation process?

Did you specify that it should be a fully unattended installation in your WINNT.SIF?

and it does some very unexpected things like not using the video drivers or lan drivers that should be the correct ones. Is this something with Virtual PC?

You seem to be mistaken in regards to virtual environments. Your virtual environment runs on virtual hardware. This means that the correct drivers are the virtual drivers which come with your virtual environment software; VMware Workstation, Microsoft Virtual PC, innotek Virtual Box, all use their own virtual device drivers. The drivers for your real, physical hardware will therefore not work in your virtual environment. The only way to test your own drivers, the ones for your real, physical hardware, is to try installing on a real machine and not on a virtual machine.

I am using the same method but when I test it in Virtual PC 2007 it still prompts me for the username during setup
Where does it prompt you for a username during the installation process?

Did you specify that it should be a fully unattended installation in your WINNT.SIF?

It prompts me at the last reboot to setup user accounts just before it takes you to the desktop so I guess you could call it the first run. I believe it does something else at that point as well like asks something about networking and I think something else . I only want the one account and I did set it to full un attended. here is my winnt.sif The only thing I want it to ask me is the filesystem and what partition to install windows into and thats it. All drivers and software come off of the cd.

I have double checked everything in the user accopunt section verses what i have in my useraccounts.cmd and my autologon.reg file and they are the same am I missing something in my winnt.sif?

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
FileSystem=*
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
OemPreinstall=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=
EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=35
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=
FullName=""
OrgName=""
ComputerName=

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1024
YResolution=768
Vrefresh=75

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

and it does some very unexpected things like not using the video drivers or lan drivers that should be the correct ones. Is this something with Virtual PC?
You seem to be mistaken in regards to virtual environments. Your virtual environment runs on virtual hardware. This means that the correct drivers are the virtual drivers which come with your virtual environment software; VMware Workstation, Microsoft Virtual PC, innotek Virtual Box, all use their own virtual device drivers. The drivers for your real, physical hardware will therefore not work in your virtual environment. The only way to test your own drivers, the ones for your real, physical hardware, is to try installing on a real machine and not on a virtual machine.

I kinda figured as much thank you for confirming that the Virtual Machine is doing that.

Edited by freezer69

I have double checked everything in the user accopunt section verses what i have in my useraccounts.cmd and my autologon.reg file and they are the same am I missing something in my winnt.sif?

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=
EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes

If you want to use a blank password, use the following, which might solve your problem:

AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=No