Windows 2003 sp2 ris problem using floppy only

Weby

Hi,

I've got a problem on my Windows 2003 Server SP2 with RIS for installing XP Home or XP Pro SP2. I'm a computer shop and i setup many computers per day with different HAL so i'm not using images or any kind of new WDS fonctionnality.

First, everything works great using PXE of motherboard which have integrated nics with pxe. I've made my own image using nlite and apply all KB, ie7 and wmp11... All this part works really great !

But for the customers who give me to repair old computer, they don't have pxe on it. So, i must use RBFG to generate a floppy to boot on it and find a card like a RT 8139 which is basic and recognized by the floppy. But here's i've got a problem !

The first problem was the "tftp download failed" that i solved copying REMINST\OsChooser\i386\ files directly to REMINST\. Not i've got my menu and everything, it loads all the driver and then, the "inter" black screen, and boom blue screen error 0x000000BB... Just before the blue screen when it scans for a hard drive...

I've got this error on all computer i tried with the floppy. (I tried with intel chip, and RT 8139).

I've put a new image on my server with an original XP Pro SP2 OEM cd with no modification. I know that Realtek 8139 driver is by default present in this media. I say that because the error 0x000000BB is, googling that, apparently a network error... But i don't really understand why in my case...

I've spent hours on google trying to get information on that, but i can't find anyone who has my problem: working great with pxe integrated motherboard card, and no luck using the floppy.

For the DHCP, i'm running bind on my FreeBSD. I don't really understand neither why i have to move the content from REMINST\Oschooser\i386 to root tftp folder. Can it be my ISC DHCPD configuration ? For pxe, here's what i've got:

next-server 192.168.4.10;

filename "OSChooser\\i386\\startrom.com";

allow booting;

allow bootp;

My Windows 2003 SP2 server = 192.168.4.10

i've tried to change filename to oschooser\i386\startrom.com or oschooser/i386/startrom.com... Nothing worked.

If anybody have a clue, or want more information. I'm fed up to format old computer with old cd-rom which lag and are slow. Network is really a good way to save time for us.

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to say that computers in which i've put floppy in are hardware good (with a cd it works...) and there's no sata... Really basic configurations...

Edit 2: Here's what i've tried this afternoon :

- Tried 3 type of network pci card with different chipset (8139, Compaq net 100-110, and SMC something...). Same problem with the 3 cards.

- in a topic on the forum, somebody said that it may be the dhcp server who assign a bad ip. So i've putted a static ip for the card i'm installing by adding in my dhcpd.conf :

host installed {

hardware ethernet **:**:**:**:**:**;

fixed-address 192.168.4.39; (i'm sure that nobody use this address)

}

I've delete my actual dhcp.leases file to reset the leases and restarted dhcpd. The same. And it seems that my pxe host has the good ip...

- Tried to activate the full debug mode on my ris server. I found informations googling on that on microsoft website. But the DWORD key "Debug" we must add in regedit is a place for binlsvc service in HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\binlsvc. This key doesn't exists in W2003 and they say that their article is applicable to Windows 2003... As there's only a Service "WDSSERVER" (and not binlsvc) i've tried to put the variable ...everywhere but i can't manage to have a log file working. (i searched in c:\windows\debug but there is nothing and there's no file...)

Here is the microsoft KB i'm talking about : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842608

- Running out of idea: next test i will do i think is to put the microsoft DHCP server instead of my ISC-DHCP...

Edit x: Putted microsoft DHCP instead of my *nix dhcp, and it does the same error... About to give up....

Edited by Weby

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I feel a bit alone with my problem.

So, i got everything to work: I completely reinstalled the system using Mixed Mode and WDS. I have had many problems, but all is working, even with floppy now !

I can't have it running with my ISC DHCPD on freebsd, i had to put dhcpd server on 2003 system to have everything working. (I had tftp not found and tftp download failed if i use isc).

So, sorry for that post. If anyone has the problem in the future, you know what to do...

Thanks,

Weby.