Can I install Windows unattended from the HD in Dos with a bootableCD

man_ay2000

I want to install windows from a copy of nlited Xp on the harddisk in Dos mode with the help of a bootable CD. I don't want to use the nlited CD

How can I do that?

If I understand you correctly, you want to install Windows XP on one partition or hard disk, using another partition or hard disk as the source for the installation files? Simply boot from diskette or CD-ROM and at the prompt browse to the I386 folder on the other partition or hard disk and start winnt.exe with the correct parameters to specify the location of the source files. You can run winnt.exe /? to find out the possible parameters.

HI EVERYBODY

I want to install windows from a copy of nlited Xp on the harddisk in Dos mode with the help of a bootable CD. I don't want to use the nlited CD

How can I do that?

Boot from cd then prefrably with smartdrive enabled win98 bootable navigate to i386 folder then winnt.exe

X:\i386\winnt.exe /s:X:\i386 /u:unattend.txt

make sure you have unattend.txt in i386 folder and its dos enable

unattend.txt is used instead of winnt.sif in installing from dos

Boot from cd then prefrably with smartdrive enabled win98 bootable navigate to i386 folder then winnt.exe

I don't find a file named " unattend.txt" in i386 folder . How can I make this file? : Do you mean to change the name of "winnt.sif" to "unattend.txt" in i386 folder

Thanks bachru2! I really apprecialt your reply,

waiting for

I don't find a file named " unattend.txt" in i386 folder . How can I make this file? : Do you mean to change the name of "winnt.sif" to "unattend.txt" in i386 folder

WINNT.SIF is used when installing from CD-ROM. UNATTEND.TXT is used when installing from DOS. Both are the same file, just named differently, so you can simply rename your WINNT.SIF file to UNATTEND.TXT. But you could have simply found this out yourself by using Google I believe :rolleyes: Hope this helps anyway.

Thanks bachru2! I really apprecialt your reply,

waiting for

unattend.txt file is used in dos mode just like winnt.sif in normal cd install.unattend.txt is same file saved as unattend.txt just change MsDosInitiated="0"

to MsDosInitiated="1"

this will make your dos mode install unattended make sure your files are 8.3 compatible