Windows 2000 256-color tray icons?

DarkCloud

I know it's possible to get the tray icons in a higher resolution than 16-bit color, but the last time I tried my explorer.exe would only open up "My Documents" after starting Windows. I tried the automatic install file from Dr. Hoiby's site, or whatever his name is called and I had problems after restarting. I just finished formatting my system as it needed a clean start.

I'm running W2K SP4 and would like to upgrade all my icons including system tray, folder icons, system icons, etc to match those of XP and/or vista in a higher resolution.

I've seen some zip files around that could probably do this, but I would like the most current version available of any application, and not have to use several different third party downloads to enable such an effect, if possible. Can anyone provide me with some links to upgrade all my shell icons listed above, and more if possible?

Thanks so much.

I know it's possible to get the tray icons in a higher resolution than 16-bit color, but the last time I tried my explorer.exe would only open up "My Documents" after starting Windows. I tried the automatic install file from Dr. Hoiby's site, or whatever his name is called and I had problems after restarting. I just finished formatting my system as it needed a clean start.

I'm running W2K SP4 and would like to upgrade all my icons including system tray, folder icons, system icons, etc to match those of XP and/or vista in a higher resolution.

I've seen some zip files around that could probably do this, but I would like the most current version available of any application, and not have to use several different third party downloads to enable such an effect, if possible. Can anyone provide me with some links to upgrade all my shell icons listed above, and more if possible?

Thanks so much.

This has been answered so many times here...

Replace your explorer manually if you have activex disabled (thus cant use drhoiby's)

http://www.msfn.org/board/Patched-EXPLORER...es-t106779.html

Most of the software have icons with 256 or more colors, probably the only ones that still may have less are microsoft's own within W2K... and there are quite few shell icons packages for W2K.

I use xpicons silent installer combined with WindowsDSv991121 color scheme registry file that are autoinstalled during setup on my W2K discs (which is perfect for me, you may like other ones). It looks like this (note the Favorites icon being not updated):

newbitmapimage6tv5.jpg

All you need to do is just search this forum ;)

Edited by no1none