hibernate problem and overheating

martush

hey guys i have a couple of problems with my fairly new laptop (Acer 5051) and needed some advice, afta some googling i found this place!

i have had my laptop a few months now and brough it with xp but with free upgrade to vista. now i have vista installed but i have a couple of problems one is that half the time when i put my laptop on hibernate (from startup menu) it doesnt go in to hibernate but instead the screen turns off but i can still hear the laptop running, the screen doesnt turn on whatever i do so i have to either leave it (and let it's battery finish) or turn it off and on again where it then says my system wasnt shut down correctly!

secondaly, another problem is that i think the laptop might be over heating as the fan is on a lot of the time and sometimes turns on and off in a short space of time. after a while a while it blows out very hot air. is it normal to blow out such hot air and for the fan to be constantly turning on and of?

i still have waranty but i thought i'd get real professional help before i think about calling up customer support

i have had my laptop a few months now and brough it with xp but with free upgrade to vista. now i have vista installed but i have a couple of problems one is that half the time when i put my laptop on hibernate (from startup menu) it doesnt go in to hibernate but instead the screen turns off but i can still hear the laptop running, the screen doesnt turn on whatever i do so i have to either leave it (and let it's battery finish) or turn it off and on again where it then says my system wasnt shut down correctly!

secondaly, another problem is that i think the laptop might be over heating as the fan is on a lot of the time and sometimes turns on and off in a short space of time. after a while a while it blows out very hot air. is it normal to blow out such hot air and for the fan to be constantly turning on and of?

Vista's hibernation is rather buggy. See this article for example for more information. It's supposed to be fully fixed in SP1. Also check the Acer support site for possible BIOS updates.

That's normal behaviour (unless this happens when your laptop is completely idle for a while). The power management and CPU cooling settings can usually be adjusted in Control Panel > Power Config and in the BIOS.