[solved] Restoring Vista's bootloader in C:\

ChrisKuhli

Hello,

I can't boot into my Vista yet...

C:\BOOT exists, and EasyBCD in my xpMCE can read/ write to there correctly but not the ntldr6...

How can i create a Vista compatble loader into the C-Partition?

I can use the Vista DVD's PE and the one of my OPK...

Which commands are needed?

Chris

Edited by ChrisKuhli

Dear neighbourhood ;) I'm living only 15 km by air from Germany!

Do you have an original Windows CD? I ask this because the sollution is simple.

Boot from the CD and choose to go to the recovery console

Simply copy NTLDR to C and use the Fixboot command. A format is not necessairy.

In the most tough way there's a possibility to do an inplace upgrade with Windows. That means that Windows will reinstall himself with all default settings, thus use automatic updates again after the reparation.

Utterly scan your bootsectors

Sector 0 is the MBR himself

Sector 1-31 where reserved for further proposial, but no one told me what kind of purpose it really has (rootkits?!). Sometimes these sectors contain data, but I don't know what kind of data. In my case it whas not a kind of evil code.

Please take a closer look to Windows setup options and if you dont have an original CD (ie in case of a preassembled syste, like Dell) contact your local vendor.

Succes :)

PS: As far as I know, every XP version can do an in place upgrade. I won't damage anything.

Always have a full synced back-up like one on a very huge USB key or on an extern medium.

Never thrust on local harddisks as back-up because virusses make no excpetion of what disk they face.

Edited by Extravert

I've solved the problem now. I did it like following:

1. Booting Vista DVD helding the key CTRL continously

2. In graphics Mode the simply PE appeared...

3. Switched to the drive letter (F:) where the DVD is in

4. Copied the file bootmgr to C:\ where XP resides

5. Chdir to F:\BOOT and applied bootsect /nt60 ALL

Now i've an english bootmenu with german Windows but i can live with that :)

BTW my Vista is residing in the D - Partition since before last XP installation what was needed but the reason for this problem ;)

Edited by ChrisKuhli

I really like to hear that.

Nice job.

I suggest it whas Windows XP.

Nah, what matters a different language in the bootmenu? ;) Windows should be properly.

I always use an English Windows version. I don't know if you face it, but the Dutch translation of Vista is inferior.

Maybe my English is not perfect, but I can read it quick and correct. No thoughts about mistranslations.

How is the German version of Vista? Do you face mistranslations in your native language?

Edited by Extravert

Hello again :hello:

(...)

I always use an English Windows version. I don't know if you face it, but the Dutch translation of Vista is inferior.

Maybe my English is not perfect, but I can read it quick and correct. No thoughts about mistranslations.

How is the German version of Vista? Do you face mistranslations in your native language?

Thanks for quick reply (so i cut a bit the cite...)

To facing that you mean i maybe have to - again - install the english UI pack into my Ultimate ;)

The german terms used by Microsoft seems not very unconvenient - maybe some of them could be better.

Chris

Edited by ChrisKuhli

Hello again :hello:
(...)

Thanks for quick reply (so i cut a bit the cite...)

To facing that you mean i maybe have to - again - install the english UI pack into my Ultimate ;)

The german terms used by Microsoft seems not very unconvenient - maybe some of them could be better.

Chris

Yeah right, if I hung around I can easeally reply ;)