(More?) SysSetup problems

RobinHood70

I've been having various device installation errors (most noticeable when running DxDiag), "Device installer error - Windows could not load the Installer for [Keyboard/Mouse/hdc, and sometimes Volume when I'm trying to use my USB camera]". Looking around the web, I found one report that setupapi.log reported that SysSetup.dll was missing, and that his problems were resolved when he found a copy of it elsewhere on his drive and copied it to his system32 folder. Okay, so I did that. Still no go.

I was using an nLite slipstreamed XPSP2 with most critical updates, and removing WMP (but keeping the compatibility option on). What's interesting is that SysSetup.DL_ *is* on the slipstream CD, it just doesn't seem to have ever been installed. Also, looking in SysSetup.inf (also not installed, BTW), I notice that SysSetup.dll is marked as a WMP component. Is this something that needs to be addressed in nLite's install?

Last but not least...what do I do now? If I can avoid it, I'd rather not create a new CD with WMP and do a re-install, but I will if I have to. Better a week after doing a ground-up re-install than a year. :)

For anybody else who's having this problem, the solution for me was to do a repair install from a slipstreamed CD *with* the old WMP on it. This causes a small problem on your system in terms of updates, but nothing that can't be resolved fairly readily. (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144/en-us for more info.) You'll also need to re-install a few updates that you had already installed.

Edited by RobinHood70