issue with vista and pen drive driver

fandan

Hello

I know this is a widely discussed topic, but I tried all the solutions I was able to find around, and none is working completely.

The problem is that when I insert my Verbatin Store ' go pen drive, Vista starts searching the driver, does not find it anywhere, and refuse to install the device.

What I have tried:

contacted twice MS assistance; they suggested to install each time a different hotfix (Windows6.0-KB940199-x86 and Windows6.0_KB937187_x86) - no results.

forced the system to search the driver in system32\driver store\ subdirectories - get a message that the driver was found, but could not be installed.

deleted file infCACHE.1 from C\windows\inf - no results

deleted the file infCACHE.1 and changed the registry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath from %SystemRoot%/inf to %SystemRoot%/system32

At this point, when I insert the pen, it works properly but at the same time vista still starts again to search the driver. If I select from the menu option "install it later" (something similar, I do not remember the exact text) everything goes on to work. Choosing stop installation or continue installation, go back to the usual error messages.

At this point at least I can use the pen, but this does not really seem a stable (and acceptable) solution.

Can anybody help to fix this better?

Thank you (please, consider I am unexperienced of this forum (first post, but looking around I see many interesting things - congratulations) and of software, OS, etc in general).

fandan