A few tweaks i cant figure out!

emerica243

1.) if you can put custom text ontop of the destop on xp, like how you can edit the registry so the windows build info shows. But i want to be able to put custom text instead of the build info. Normally i would just use BGInfo, but the reason i need it to act like how windows does it is because it moves with the desktop. For example, when you drag the taskbar up, the text also jumps up, if it was BGInfo, it would just go overtop of it. And also bginfo wont run as a limited user account.

2.) How can you lock the desktop icons (the standard ones, My computer, my docs...) to a standard length. And have them always exploded. For example, so you dont get Blah Blah Blah .... and it bein truncated, i want it always being expanded. As if all the icons are always Highlighted so you can see the full name.

3.) Everytime a user logs off the computer, it syncs folders to the domain, how do i turn off that syncing?

Thanks in advance, hope i can figure these out.

Answer to Q.2

You can try going to Display Properties (Right click on Desktop --> Properties), then Appearance, then Advance and fiddle around with both Icon Spacing (Horizontal & Vertical). Not sure but you can try that out. Hope that helps.

You were willing to install BGInfo, so I figured Samurize would be fair game. It's a small program that can be run from a limited account - shouldn't be too much of a security risk, nor is it "junk software". You can actually use it to monitor workstations fairly easily with the Samurize server application.