Windows 2003 Server

moinuddin_sh

I have Windows 2003 server running with all the user name and policies in the AD. I installed Windows 2003 on another machine as a standby server (backup server for contingency). Every time I create a new user or edit some policy in my running server I have to repeate the same in the standby server.

How can I copy the AD from my running server and restore on the standby machine?

Thanks

When you installed Active Directory on your Backup Server, you should have selected "Additional Domain Controller for an existing Domain". :wacko:

Not to mention the fact that if the 2nd DC is not part of the existing domain it will be uselessly unable to authenticate anything if it's put into service.

None of the RIDS, PIDS, SIDS, etc. will match and even if they did the machine account creds won't be up-to-date so the logons will still be refused.

How can I copy the AD from my running server and restore on the standby machine?

Always Keep a current backup of System State Data, and do an authoratative restore in Directory Restore Mode.

...That is of course after you do what FAT64 mentioned above :). The 2nd DC should be running and online at all times so that it's up-to-date and available when needed.

AD is Peer-to-Peer, so they'll keep each other up-to-date ... if you let them.