Workgroup Security

jwalker

Ok I have about 4 computers on a workgroup and wish to limit access to one of these computers. I would like to be able to create an account on each PC and then log in and have access to the one PC I wish to limit. I have tried to add the computername/username combo to the admin group of the PC I wish to limit access to but that does not work. Is their anyway I can do this without turning my network into a domain?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

do you have one PC act as a "server" and the others have specific limits to that "server"? What kind of limits are you talking about? File/folder limits, running program limits?

If it's file/folder limits, you should be able to accomplish that, but it sounds like you've tried and failed. Do you have simple file sharing on? Go to Tools | Folder Options | View (tab) | Use simple file sharing?

If it's on, disable it, and see if it's working then.

Without a domain, you will need to add the user accounts (and passwords) of every other account on the other machines to this box. Computername\Username will not work - you'll need accounts/passwords on all of the machines on the network, including the file server.