Unable To Install Vista

Adam A

Hi all I am having problems with my brand new dell inspiron 1720, it came with windows vista home premium pre installed on it so I let it boot up entered my details then booted up task manager to see that 89 processes were running in the background and the amount of crapware that dell had installed was excessive.

So I decided to format the system with a retail version of vista home premium so I could start with a clean slate. So I loaded my vista DVD in pressed f12 at boot for the one time boot menu selected the CD/DVD drive hit enter to load from DVD. Then the normal vista installation continued there was three partitions the hard drive, a recovery partition, OS partition and a mediadirect partition. I deleted them all created a new partition formatted it then clicked next to install vista.

I left it for 30 minutes and all was going well it was reading from the DVD and loads of hard drive activity, then it rebooted then shows on screen completing installation it took a good hour to complete then it just shows a black screen with a cursor dead center.

You can move the cursor but nothing happens and you can’t use any keyboard commands I left it for 4 hours but still nothing there is no hard drive activity whatsoever. So I held the power button for 6 seconds to shut down the system then I turned it back on to be shown the green scrolling bar with Microsoft Corporation underneath it, it just scrolls and scrolls and there is not hard drive activity I left it for 2 hours but still nothing.

I tried again with the disk dell supplied with the laptop but it does exactly the same. I have ran out of ideas so any input would be great.

Thanks Adam

P.S i am trying to do a repair on my installation of vista, i suppose its a plus that i can see it.

It is now searching for problems but has been running for 1 hour now and is still searching, but there is hard drive activity so i will let it do its thing.

• 1 month later...

first off do your self a favor and get business or ultimate ed they are better and perform better in my opinion. I would recomend trying to format with xp with a hard NTFS format and see if that works i think it only took about 45 mins to install vista for me on Dell E1505 the only problem was my vista disk was kinda of faulty but that another issue.