Migrating user account from Vista back to XP?

slavestate

Well basically on my fairly new Core Duo 6600 Dell, Vista runs like crap..

But Ive been running it for over a year now and have alot of my user account pretty well rooted in it.

I cant seem to get a clear answer from any of Microsofts documentation but does anyone know if its possible to use the User State Migration Tool to transfer a user profile from Vista BACK to XP???

I spent all last week cleaning up my workstation and used Vista's Easy File Transfer to migrate it to another drive and rebuilt my Vista box.

Well I think I just want to get rid of it once and for all.. Just tried to migrate it onto my other XP workstation but the Files and Settings Transfer tool in XP cant find my migrated user data from Vista. Im assuming it doesnt work with the format Vista saves it in..

So my next choice is the User State Migration Tool, but I wanted to see if anyone had successfully done this before I waste a whole day setting up xml files to migrate my account once more..

Seems to work manually so far.. :)

Just copied a few of the important folders out of Application Data/Roaming to my XP machine next to me and Thunderbird, Firefox, Filezilla and so far everything else is ok.. Didnt touch the Microsoft stuff yet cause Im not too concerned about those..

It was mainly my saved settings in my browser/email/messenger/itunes stuff I wanted to make sure was good. Already moved my Pics and Documents elsewhere so didnt have to worry about those..

Seems to work manually so far.. :)

Just copied a few of the important folders out of Application Data/Roaming to my XP machine next to me and Thunderbird, Firefox, Filezilla and so far everything else is ok.. Didnt touch the Microsoft stuff yet cause Im not too concerned about those..

It was mainly my saved settings in my browser/email/messenger/itunes stuff I wanted to make sure was good. Already moved my Pics and Documents elsewhere so didnt have to worry about those..

Yeah, that's what I meant by "There's no going back (easily)" in my previous statement. Most of the Microsoft application data can move, like .pst files, favorites, etc - you just can't use USMT to do this unfortunately.