Router problems

Hey my router has not been working the only way i am connected is by hardwire and i have 3 computers and xbox live but i can only use the one i am currently on by hardwiring it straight through my modem to my computer but i want to be able to use my other computers and xbol live can someone please help me.

first off, thanks for joining the msfn community :hello:

second, from what you're writing, it sounds like at some point your router worked, and then it stopped. Do you know when it stopped working? Did anything happen around that time? Are you normally wirelessly connected to this router?

The first thing i'd check would be to see if you're still getting an IP address when you plug into your router. Does this router have a brand (i.e. Linksys, D-Link), and does it have a model (i.e. WRT54G)? If so, letting us know might help.

from the control panel go to Network Connections. You should see a "Local Area Connection" icon there. If it is lit up, double click the icon and go to the Support tab. If the address type says Automatic Private IP, try right-clicking the icon and choose "repair". If the same address comes up, I'd try to reset the router to its defaults. That usually involves holding in a reset button or something. Check your router's documentation.

If on the other hand the address type is DHCP, I would type the default gateway into the address bar of your favorite browser and log in to your router's interface(again, check your router's documentation for the default login if you haven't changed it). Check your connection settings to make sure nothing has changed.

Start there and let us know.

Edited by rendrag

Well first off something happened when it stoped working are internet provider disconnected are internet because we dident pay the bill but we after that, and i have linksys and i have tried reseting it, i have tried firmware upgrades, and when i have my modem hardwired my IP is the same as its always been the default IP but if i set up the router correct the way it should be it changes and so does every thing eles except the DNS Servers andi have called linksys and that got me nowhere. If i type the default IP in the address bar it brings be to the linksys page witch i notice there is only the router name and nothing else in the boxes but we have a print out copy of it in a earlier problem that happend and every thing was filled out. The router is a Linksys WRT54G.

who is your ISP? Many times they will lock the account to a specific MAC address, which is basically a license plate for a device. The WRT54G has a "Clone MAC" feature which will allow it to use the same MAC address as your PC. That should allow it to work.

to find your MAC address, go back to the network connections folder, double click on the icon for your network connection, under the support tab click 'details'. The MAC address is named Physical Address in this window.

write that address down.

From your router's interface, find the setting MAC address clone. Type the MAC into the window, then click save. The router will reboot. Once it's rebooted, Unplug the power from your modem and your router. Wait 30 seconds, plug the modem back in, wait til the lights stop blinking (about 30-45s), then plug your router back in. If the MAC address was the cause of the problem, you should be back in business.

i can't get to my router interface it was working perfectly earlier but it just stoped and no it it says the server timed out. I got a quick question when i hardwire my modem to my computer its makes my IP the normal IP like the one i have always had but then if i connect my modem to my router it changes to the default ip (192.168.1.1) is this normal?