My strategy for AutoIT scripting - please help!

Decker87

You can view my strategy here: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dk59prw_5grkh9d

There are some things that I wish I could do, that I don't think AutoIT has support for. For example, data structures.

But, I am looking for some advice on my strategy before I start scripting a whole bunch of things. This is all done with the assumption that I can write a ton of scripts and that hard drive space is not an issue.

Hi,

Nice strategy but your comment used of that AutoIt may not support data structures seems odd. To explain, when you show within your strategy of using the AutoIt array syntax, that is AFAIK, a data structure.

Your strategy looks rigid and concise with requirements and what I do notice is timeouts and handling complete install, uninstall etc tasks. If the install is to be automated, then I would consider using a Select Case within a loop to handle the various windows, whether it be the install type or uninstall type. If the loop is not exited within a certain period of time then an action can be done, whether to exit the script or call a function to do something else. It appears functions do not appear within your strategy, yet they can make a major task of creating a ton of scripts easier as common code can be wrapped in functions and even shared amongst the scripts by including them.

Using templates would be a logical choice to be a step along with your strategy and make your scripts uniform. You are quite welcome to use the templates within SendToA3X to make your installation scripts. SendToA3X will identify the commonly used installers and create a script based on a template for you to supply details to complete. The automation templates give a choice of using WinWait or WinExists in a loop. You may consider the WinExists in a loop to allow multiple tasks or use a WinWait sequence for the concept of multiple scripts to handle install, uninstall etc.

Some scripts here may serve as an example of using templates. Most are not automated so may not be within your strategy but shows a uniform approach.

Some advice above for you to evaluate. :)