Hardware Wizard prompt during mini-setup

I have a sysprep'd XP image for multiple hardware platforms. I have learned from past experience that the IBM TPM driver will cause problems during mini-setup if you allow it to be installed (TPM must have a certain HAL loaded to install). So I have completely removed the TPM driver install files from my image. This was working fine for quite some time, until recently. Now when windows goes through the mini-setup driver installation portion I always get a hardware wizard for a "Unknown" driver which is the TPM security chip. This wizard pauses the unattended mini-setup until the user cancels.

I have UnsignedDriversPolicy=Ignore and UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes in my sysprep.inf. I have searched the baseline image for any cached references to TPM.inf/.sys and have found none.

Personally, I am baffled as to why a wizard prompting the user for action is even occurring during an UNATTENDED mini-setup. Has anyone experienced this issue or know of a workaround?

Yes, you see it all the time with Intel video adapters tough those normally will allow the hardware detection phase of mini-setup to complete. but it may well be the same solution.

Try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910678 may help, unfortunately you have to call to get the hotfix, or find it somewhere else online. Or maybe this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883667. They update the hardware detection DLL file.

and i agree the TPM chip in the Lenovo's is a pain in the a**. Has caused me no end of trouble. hopefully I won't see your issue. Mine makes it past that point and then I install it from cmdlines.txt using devcon.

Ok. I downloaded the KB883667 hotfix and installed it on my baseline and it appears to fix the problem. I've tested it with the NSC1100 & ATM1200 chips and have not seen the issue again.

On a side note I have ran into this issue before I had the hotfix and found a crude way to prevent it. As far as I can tell, this method will work for any device that causes the Hardware Device Wizard pop-up during mini-setup. If you add a ConfigFlags=0x40 entry for the Device Instance ID of the afflicting device to the registry before syspreping, the wizard will not popup. The only problem with this method is that you need to know the Device Instance IDs of all versions of the device that is causing the problem.

Before I used the hotfix, these are the registry settings I used to import before sysprep:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\NSC1100\4&58fa20d&0]
"ConfigFlags"=dword:00000040

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\ATM1200\4&38462492&0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\ATM1200\4&2909ad21&0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\ACPI\NSC1100\4&58fa20d&0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\ACPI\ATM1200\4&38462492&0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\ACPI\ATM1200\4&2909ad21&0]

The hotfix is the way to go, but if it doesn't work for you thats a viable workaround. Finding the instance ids is the biggest hurdle though.

Edited by zorphnog