Document help

Hello, I just joined today. I purchased this computer (MS XP MCE 2002) almost a year ago but only connected it to the internet a couple of days ago. I have created word documents over the last few months and saved them to 'my documents'. I have always been able to open them to make changes or "save as". I would then save to a disc and transfer to my other computer.

I went to create a document today by opening an existing document to "save as". I could not open any of the word documents. When I double clicked to open, the hour glass would appear and after nothing else would happen I would click on the close box and the 'program not resonding' box appeared.

I then noticed that some documents were now "Microsoft Office Document Image". I can only view these documents. I have no idea how this happened. All documents were created in 'Word'.

I then noticed that one document was a 'HTML Document'. I'm guessing maybe someone sent me this document in this format. But I do not know what HTML is.

I also created a document today and saved it to 'my documents', and can't open it either.

As I stated, I just got on the internet with this computer the other day and have been getting swamped with different programs that need to be registered or updates. I have pretty much registered them all or downloaded the various upgrades. I don't know if this has created problems.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hmm. Maybe you got some virus or something from the web? Try doing a full virus scan, and see what happens. If you have some docs that are acting up that have no private info in them, you could upload some for us to poke with a very long pole.

HTML is the language that web pages are written in. MS word can save things to HTML, but never EVER use it to make a real webpage. It wasn't designed to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this.

Open my documents.

Go to Tools

Go to Folder Options

Choose the file types tab.

Scroll down the list to doc.

Make sure everything is as it should. Eg - Open with MS Word

Hit Advanced. Make sure all the actions such as save, open, print new, etc are in the list.