Vista Fix For Missing CD/DVD Drives

adrian2055

Hey Guys,

I recently installed Vista Basic on my laptop and soon after I configured my pc the way I wanted it my internal DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive and my external usb DVD-RW drive would disappear after I would restart my pc. Vista would try to re-install the drives everytime my pc started and each time it failed. I re-installed vista 3 times and It did the same thing. After getting frustrated and extremely p***ed off I searched yahoo and found this info:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed? If so follow the steps below:

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export"...name this file filters and save it to the desktop.

Right click on LowerFilters and choose "Delete"...do the same for UpperFilters. Log off Windows and then back on. Check the drives.

I followed these easy steps and my drives re-installed instantly without restarting. You might have to restart your pc to get this to work. The person who made the thread had a 64-bit system, but it worked for my 32-bit system too. Just thought I would share this so others wouldn't waste a whole day re-installing vista trying to fix this issue like I did.

Take Care

Adrian

Here's the original site with this info:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Vista-64-bi...AR-t151524.html

Edited by adrian2055