Equation Editor: Summation symbol not showing properly

J-Y

I have problem getting the Equation Editor in Word 2007 to show the limits of the summation symbol properly. There are two options to display the summation symbol with two limits, one on top and one to the side.

However, regardless of which ones I chose, both will only display the summation symbol with limits to the side, as shown in the attachment.

post-151386-1191603416_thumb.jpg

I understand your frustration.

What is happening is when the equation is part of a line, it changes to an "Inline" equation. For Inline equations, the limits will always show on the side instead of top and bottom.

For "Display" equations, however, the limits do show on top and bottom, but you cannot have any other text in that line. See attachment below which toggles Inline vs Display.

It's a limit of word that Inline equations show the limits on the side only.

post-25917-1192030823_thumb.png

Edited by spacesurfer

You may want to look at MathType 6.0 by DesignScience. It can display limits on top and below in Inline Equations. I used to use MathType in 2003 version. But now that 2007 has it built in, there's really no reason I need MathType anymore, although it may be a little more capable than the built in equation editor.

Moreover, the built-in version supports colors, which Mathtype 6.0 just now introduced. Hence, there's no reason for MathType except for the Inline Equation problem that you are experiencing.

• 2 weeks later...
You may want to look at MathType 6.0 by DesignScience. It can display limits on top and below in Inline Equations. I used to use MathType in 2003 version. But now that 2007 has it built in, there's really no reason I need MathType anymore, although it may be a little more capable than the built in equation editor.

Moreover, the built-in version supports colors, which Mathtype 6.0 just now introduced. Hence, there's no reason for MathType except for the Inline Equation problem that you are experiencing.

We appreciate the suggestion to look at MathType 6, and you are correct that MathType can display the limits above and below the summation symbol in inline equations. I do need to respond to some inaccuracies in your post though...

"Now that 2007 has it built in, there's really no reason I need MathType anymore..." That's a personal decision, and if you don't need MathType anymore, I won't argue with that. However, there are plenty of reasons why someone might decide the OMML Equation Editor (i.e., the "new equation editor" in Word 2007) is inadequate. First, you can change to any font you want in MathType. The OMML EE has one choice -- Cambria Math. If you're using Verdana in your document, for example, your equations will still be Cambria Math. Second, Cambria Math won't print to some printers (such as the HP LJ 1200), and has sometimes shown to be problematic when converting to PDF (using Acrobat). Third, the equation library in the OMML EE has very limited capability to organize your equations, while on the MathType toolbar you can arrange your equations however you want. Fourth, with MathType you can easily number your display equations and include references in your text that link to the equation numbers. To do this with the OMML EE is a kludgy workaround. Finally, MathType integrates very well into PowerPoint 2007, which the OMML EE does not. That's only 5 differences; there are more.

Moreover, the built-in version supports colors, which Mathtype 6.0 just now introduced. That's incorrect, but what if MathType 6 did just introduce color? I'm not sure what your point is. For the record though, MathType has had color capability since April 1999, when MathType 4 was released.

Hence, there's no reason for MathType except for the Inline Equation problem that you are experiencing. Again, a conclusion you have drawn for your own situation which, as your opinion, may or may not apply to someone else.

Regards,

Bob Mathews

Director of Training

Design Science, Inc.