"Digital Signature Catalog" errors on install

S.SubZero

I'm tinkering with VMWare Server 1.0.4, specifically for testing my XP64 SP2 slipstreamed disc I made. I also added a single hotfix to the slipstream, KB931836.

The install of XP64 as the guest OS goes just fine, no errors at all. However, the Event Viewer says there were non-fatal errors during install.

The setuperr.log file shows:

"The digital signature file D:\AMD64\SP2.CAT could not be installed. The error code is fffffc05.

The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffc05 in the message file for syssetup.dll."

This same error is repeated a few times, but the file in question changes to NTPRINT.CAT, NT5IIS.CAT, WOW64.CAT, and WOWLANG.CAT.

I don't know what these files are nor how critical they are. The virtual XP64 install seems to work fine, though I haven't done much with it.

Should I take these errors seriously? Would running in a VM cause them?

Not quite sure how it would affect you, although the question is did you modify the installation media at all? Those errors aren't fatal, but they could result in unpredictable behavior later when trying to install SP3, for instance.

I used nLite to make the image. I don't know if nLite does anything weird. The only options I chose were to slipstream SP2 and add the one hotfix. I didn't change any options or remove anything or anything else. The only reason I used nLite was to make the bootable ISO quickly.

I may make another ISO without the hotfix to see if that is the problem. It's the timezone fix, I just wanted that stock on the install but I could live without it.