Wrong download rate detected

Deviad

Hello,

as in the topic title and description I found out that IE 7, Firefox, Down Them All (a Firefox extension), Free Download Manager and so on do not detect the right download rate.

How do I know that? Because if you go into the resource panel that you access by the task manager then you will see your real download rate. In my case 5 Mb/s.

So, I downloaded netlimiter2 pro and I gave it a shot. Well, this does detect my download rate properly.

I guess that many people experiencing the slow download rate issue could be affected by the same bug.

So, I hope that someone now will try to figure out with me what's wrong and if there's a "home made patch" or a register key to modify to solve the issue.

Thank you very much for help.

Cheers,

Davide

Edited by Deviad

I'll quote what I wrote here

I want this topic to be stickied as I found what is causing the problem of slow download speed on Vista!

Get into task manager > Performance (I have the Italian version of the OS so I'm trying to translate how it might be written in English) > Resource monitor.

There you will see "Network" that's your actual connection rate.

You will see that this doesn't match what you get in IE.

Of course what IE displays is the wrong data. So now, what is causing the issue?

Download netlimiter2 pro and you will see that you get a data flow into avira webguard as large as 550 KB/s in my case and it gets out of a port as large as 280 KB/s, always in my case.

What data do IE, Firefox, Free Download Manager catch? This one!

And that's it.

Now, Avira please Fix this issue because it's pretty annoying. At the moment, since AVG Webguard might be a plus, I suggest you to deactivate it until Avira's staff fix this issue.

Cheers,

Davide (your Italian "betatester") ^^