Swap Windows Server 2000 SCSI drive to Desktop

Stevens

Client has a 5 year old Dell PowerEdge P4 server that just had the motherboard die. We don't want to invest in a new board. I want to take the SCSI controller and move it to a desktop that is not in use and temporarily run the Windows 2000 Server SCSI drive as the primary drive. I have to get that OS up again in order to figure out the database settings for this Platinum for Windows software that they use for inventory, accounting, the whole 9 yards.

What would happen if I just installed the SCSI controller in the desktop, then change the boot order to have it boot off the Server 2000 SCSI drive?

Is there a way to slave the SCSI drive and remove all the installed drivers (to give Windows Server 2000 a clean slate for the new desktop)? is this necessary?

Thanks,

Stevens

In my experience that might be pretty tough to get working successfully. Is it a SQL database? If so try setting up SQL on the workstation and moving the databases over. At least you could view the databases and hopefully get what you need off of the old drive. Or setup the application cleanly and once it is up copy the entire application and database over the clean directories to get your settings back.