Working with nLite

Quitch

I'm sure I'm not the only user who uses WUD in onjunction with nLite. Combining WUD, DriversPack and nLite allows me to create fully patched Windows DVDs with automated setups and most of the drivers I will need for any build.

However, nLite can only integrate standard hotfix packages as those support a fixed set of options which allow them to be slipstreamed into the build, where as WUD doesn't differentiate between a hotfix and anything else, or even hotfix dependencies. This can lead to situations where you will slipstream hotfixes for a tool which didn't ship as a hotfix and thus couldn't be slipstreamed.

What would be desirable was if WUD understood the difference between a hotfix and "everything else", and even knew when a hotfix was dependent upon a non-hotfix, then gave you the option to filter those out of your download.

Sounds painful to implement to me, but it would certainly make the whole WUD/nLite relationship much more useful and far easier to use.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll think that jcarle has already given you all the tools also for that purpose. You just have to use some of your nLite knowledge and notepad.

Just edit the desired WUD .ul file to suite your needs and start nLite and put all the nLite compatible hotfixes to it. Maybe you can write a list of all the nLite compatible hotfixes.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work jcarle! I like using this to set up nlite sessions - the dates for hotfixes are visible within nlite, and can be sorted pretty easily (1.4-RC2). I also like the hover over feature for the description of the hotfix, but one small suggestion would be to put the HF date in the hover over so I can use the list for sequential updates on older machines more easily.

Quitch, there is a website supporting HFSLIP at http://users.telenet.be/tc76/winup/_win2k.html that has a nice sorting capability and a good HF file history. Even though its arranged for HFSLIP, it helped me sort it out.