Duplicate User Logins After Updates

papashex

I have a new laptop with VHP. Since it has been on the store shelf a while there are 20+ updates for the installed Vista (32 bit) OS.

After downloading and installing all updates i rebooted the system. When the logon screen come up there are now 2 icons for the same user to log in. I only ever created a single account during the Vista install process.

I can click either and log in with the appropriate password, it's just annoying seeing both. Since I have not installed much software I used the system recovery disk for a fresh install. All was well again until windows update.

Has anyone run into / resolved this issue?

EDIT: adding an additional user account also gets duplicated. With 2 users defined I have 4 login icons to click.

Edited by papashex

Thanks for the 1 at a time suggestion. That would have been my 2nd to last resort. Very last being to skip the updates.

I have discovered that an uninstall of the omnipass fingerprint software (active on the login screen) clears up the problem. I don't know which of the updates it conflicts with. I will try to re-install the omnipass software later when I get home and see if the issue returns.