3 questions/issues with vista ultimate

ElAguila

I will start off with an easy one. When I set the view for a folder to be List and then apply to all folders, it will show this as the default view for a little while. Then all of a sudden some folders have Detail view and others have Tile or Icons. Is there any fix for this? Secondly I have Spysweeper running and everytime I start media player it tells me that it wants to add WMPNSCFG to the startup and I allow it. Why does it keep adding it to the startup when it is already there? Last but not least there is a process called lsass.exe that runs several times a day for several hours causing contant hard drive access. Any idea how to stop this?

Edited by ElAguila

I will start off with an easy one. When I set the view for a folder to be List and then apply to all folders, it will show this as the default view for a little while. Then all of a sudden some folders have Detail view and others have Tile or Icons. Is there any fix for this?

By default, Windows can only remember folder views in the registry for a set number of folders (the article applies to Vista as well, but I'm not sure about the actual # - it's probably the same or close to the limits listed there, though). You can increase this, also via following the article linked.

Secondly I have Spysweeper running and everytime I start media player it tells me that it wants to add WMPNSCFG to the startup and I allow it. Why does it keep adding it to the startup when it is already there?

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about, as this sounds like a spysweeper function and not a Windows function. Perhaps you could elaborate on this?

Last but not least there is a process called lsass.exe that runs several times a day for several hours causing contant hard drive access. Any idea how to stop this?

The lsass.exe process (Local Security Authority Subsystem Service, lsass) is invoked any time security permissions need to be accessed or modified, meaning something on your box is doing something dealing HEAVILY with authentication or security permissions during these times. Are you on a domain, or have anything running in the background that would cause higher-than-normal authentication requests or communications with a domain controller? The only time lsass.exe would see high CPU would be during periods of security checking, modification, or actual auth requests to or from the box.

About the spyweeper issue, I have spysweeper configured so that it notifies me any time a program tries to write itself to the start menu or the run key in the registry. Every time I open media player I get an alert that the same program is writing itself to the startup. As far as the lsass, I am not on a domain. Nothing was running in the background.

the network configuration part will try and add itself each time to the registry, but if it already finds a key there it will stop the proccess, spysweeper is catching it while it is making that query to see if the key is there (my thought on it)