Customizing Windows 98 setup billboard screens

soporific

I orignially posted this in the Customizing Windows section of the forums, but eidenk correctly suggested i post it here ...

"i'm just about to release a new version of the UBCD for Win98/SE as a sort of last hurrah for the ancient thing, and i'd dearly love to do up a custom billboard screen for this."

the above was the gist of the original post. I since discovered (and eidenk also helped with the info) that the files we need to adjust are inside PRECOPY1.CAB & PRECOPY2.CAB -- win95bb.ini is where the text is you can edit, and the .bin files contain the bitmaps.

If i find anything else out, i will post it here. If anyone else has any pertinent info, please say something. :thumbup

I'm pretty sure you already knew this but just in case...

To make it do your own "Intro to Windows UBCD" text messages, you don't have to go "into" the precopy2.cab file and adjust anything, just supply your own version of the win95bb.ini file in the installation cab files folder and setup should use your version by default instead of extracting and then using the win95bb.ini file inside of the precopy2.cab file.

Ditto for the renamed bitmap files. All you really have to watch out for is to use their exact file names. It should work gangbusters and really dazzle 'em good and proper.

Good on both of you, nice find.

I'm pretty sure you already knew this but just in case...

To make it do your own "Intro to Windows UBCD" text messages, you don't have to go "into" the precopy2.cab file and adjust anything, just supply your own version of the win95bb.ini file in the installation cab files folder and setup should use your version by default instead of extracting and then using the win95bb.ini file inside of the precopy2.cab file.

Ditto for the renamed bitmap files. All you really have to watch out for is to use their exact file names. It should work gangbusters and really dazzle 'em good and proper.

Good on both of you, nice find.

I wasted a good half hour investigating how to repackage PRECOPY1.CAB & PRECOPY2.CAB but then it occurred to me to try just including the file in the Win98 directory. And it worked! So, good suggestion ... where were you when i was starting to waste that half hour? :lol::thumbup