Erational Erridicent Yo-Ha's n Stuff

jimc52

Hello everyone :thumbup. My name is Jim, and I logged on here to get some help with nLite, but I can see there is a lot more

to be had here...I spend a lot of time on forums just studying problems and learning answers, more like curiosity than anything else.

I have taken note, that humanity wouldn't be at all happy unless there were problems to be solved...which probably means computers

were built just to create problems to occupy human space, mind and time...therefore keeping us busy. Just to let you guys know how

old I am...I still have my original slide rules from taking physics and chemistry in high school... :blushing:

I've been around computers since the 1970's...I used to work on old fashioned clunkers from Honeywell, IBM and others when a hard

disk was as big as a pizza platter and held a whole huge gigantic 1 MB of memory...and fed programs into the computer with a pink

ticker tape or punch cards...

I don't know if your memories (any of you) recall a small pc called a "Kaypro." But it had all the engineering students at Oregon State

University buzzing....

My first personal computer was an Intel 286 8 Mhz with a wopping 640K memory and a 1 MB extension with DOS 1.1. My favorite was

writing batch files using EDLIN...whew! Anyway...the one thing I miss is just a simple and very basic BASIC interpreter like MS had

back then. I think the biggest mistake Microsoft has ever made was getting away from character driven computing...so I got ambidextrous

and use Linux as well...the GNU compiler and the infamous command line editors like BORN-BASH shell are still there. I get nostalgic

for just having my hands on the actual hardware. So all of my computers at home are dual boot Windows - Linux. I happen to like

both MS Windows and Linux, and I don't take sides like a lot of people do...sort of silly, when there is a lot to be learned using

both operating systems.

I write code in several languages, C++ in particular, BASIC, PASCAL, VISUAL BASIC are my favorites, but I like some of the other

interesting languages like PYTHON....

I am of the opinion that everything should be cross platform, all of the Linux distros should work within windows and vice-versa.

There is plenty of room for everyone in the computing world. When I am on Linux forums there is a lot of anti-windows nonsense.

And Windows users tend to be "afraid" of Linux like its some kind of techie-guru o/s...really, I encourage all of you to try Linux

out. My favorite is Red Hat or Fedora Core. It's not hard to create a dual windows-linux computer. I have tried several distros,

and my latest project will be to try UBUNTU on a different computer.

I also design and build computers on the side, as a hobby...this keeps me going on the latest hardware and software developments.

Don't get me wrong, I have been around a long time, but I am learning new and untried things every day, so I am very appreciative

to be on this site and I hope that I will be able to continue my never ending learning here.

One other thing...I firmly belive that the only stupid question is the one that you were afraid to ask. I never look down on other people

or deride them because they are struggling with something that is hard for them {but easy for me}. I think that being compassionate

and understanding, patient and helpful, is the best way to garner friends and assist others. I may post questions here that sound dumb

or stupid or even illiterate by someone else's measure...but I think it only goes to show, you have the answer and I don't...respect

is what counts.

Hope I haven't said too much, but hello everyone.

Sincerely - Jim in Oregon

Hi Jim,

Welcome to MSFN.

Very nice background you have. I think you will find your thoughts on how to treat others mirrored to a great degree by many others here. The one thing that does seem to irk them, and rightfully so, is if someone doesn't try or doesn't search well enough. Anyway, nice attitude and again, welcome.

DL