WDS.. no auhentication for Vista or PE

chiners_68

When running in mixed mode your first menu gives you

Vista Longhorn install (X86)

Windows PE (X86)

RIS

If you select RIS it takes you to your old blue screens & asks you to enter your account to authenticate.

if you take one of the other two options you can install vista or boot to PE without being asked to authenticate. How can I set these so an Authentication box apears..?

the reason i want this as if you boot to PE you can access everything on the C drive of that PC.

I'm not aware of any built-in authentication options. The only thing I can think of doing is to have your batch script or whatever you want to run located on a network share. Create a simple HTA, VBScript, or batch file that asks for authentication information and attempts to connect to the network share using this information. Set this hta, script, or batch file as your winpe shell using winpeshl.ini.

Hope that makes some sense.

not having authentication is dangerous.

At present if i activate the two otions in WDS a student could 12 to boot from PXE & install vista or they could boot to VistaPE & have full control over the hard drive on that PC without needing to authenticate. This is not very secure.

Honestly, if MS hasn't built-in a way to setup a password in the bootloader, my best idea would be to switch to another one.

http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php

http://syslinux.zytor.com/menu.php

Interesting in the 2nd link are the settings to keep users from editing the boot entries or using the boot command line. I can say from my own experience that booting one instance of Windows PE works quite well with PXELinux, how it works out with multiple PE images, I don''t know. (I have no WDS here, just plain DHCP and TFTP)