Backups

Hamins

Hi,

I'm not too sure if this question belongs to this forum...

I'm managing a network where all the users work on notebooks, and the data is scattered on each persons notebook. We also have a coupla desktops with data on each. How do I formulate a automated backup process, whereby all the data from the each notebook/desktop gets backed-up periodically onto a storage medium (external HDD, backup server etc etc.)

Eyeball, I don't think folder redirection would solve my problem - The data is stored is various folders, other than My Docs, desktop etc etc...

Also, how is folder redirection possible in a workgroup environment ? We don't have a domain/domain controller ?

Edited by Hamins

sorry i just assumed you had a server.

try this:

1) give each user an external drive usb or other

2) install microsoft synctoy

3) setup an echo job from the data locations to the external drive

4) make a batch file with "pathtosynctoy.exe" -R in it

5) instruct users to run batch file by simply double clicking it whenever they wish to backup their data

sorted!

:)

I use 2BrightSparks SyncBackSE

I was just about to suggest that myself as it's what I use just for this purpose. It's much nicer than synctoy and the pay version supports open files. The open files part is great for things like my outlook pst file.

Automating it without a server/domain model will be difficult. Not impossible, but it severely limits your options.

How many laptops and workstations do you have?

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone....

Memnoch, we have around 25 laptops, and 6 desktop. All the data is dispersed on these laptops/desktops...

Sorry...been busy with work. :(

Honestly, I'd try to get a small server and setup a Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain. Then create shares and have all of your users keep the files on the server. That would allow you to run a backup on the single machine instead of trying to find a way to backup 30-something individual computers.

It would also give you some control over the settings on those computers (Group Policies are a wonderful thing). You could even automate your patches with Windows Server Update Services 3.0. I just had an opportunity to do my first WSUS3 setup for a customer. It's so easy to setup and maintain...and provides some pretty amazing reports, especially considering it's a free product.

Sorry...been busy with work. :(

Honestly, I'd try to get a small server and setup a Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain. Then create shares and have all of your users keep the files on the server. That would allow you to run a backup on the single machine instead of trying to find a way to backup 30-something individual computers.

It would also give you some control over the settings on those computers (Group Policies are a wonderful thing). You could even automate your patches with Windows Server Update Services 3.0. I just had an opportunity to do my first WSUS3 setup for a customer. It's so easy to setup and maintain...and provides some pretty amazing reports, especially considering it's a free product.

Thanks for yer response Memnoch,

Ideally speaking, thats how I would like to have it too. I tried convincing my client to do that, but they still want the data dispersed (Don't ask why). However, we do have a free desktop on which I could install Windows 2003 (non-DC).