Unattended Install for F6 driver

Hello all -

I'm trying to create an unattended install for WinXP using a Microsoft created CD-based install.

The setup cd correctly loads my winnt.sif file from a floppy, however, unless I press F6, I receive a message that no hard drives were detected. If I press F6, I see the needed driver in the list, and I can select it and everything completes successfully. Both my device driver and my winnt.sif file are on the same floppy.

I have seen several posts which indicate a method of how to load the drivers by editing the Windows XP CD and adding/changing files & folders. However, I can't (don't want to) have a special WinXP CD for this deployment.

I've tried several methods, but either setup ignores my settings, or throws errors -- which are most likely both because I've missed something or have the syntax incorrect.

Can I simply tell my winnt.sif file to load the driver from the floppy disk? In particular, I'm trying to load the vmware scsi controller driver.

Thanks

yes you can, you rename winnt.sif to something else, i believe oem.sif or something like that. If you look at a floppy disk used for loading drivers you'll see what format to use. Microsoft's website documents what to do.

-gosh

yes you can, you rename winnt.sif to something else, i believe oem.sif or something like that. If you look at a floppy disk used for loading drivers you'll see what format to use. Microsoft's website documents what to do.

-gosh

If adding the file to a CD, I see lots of references to the $OEM$. I tried adding the same content on a floppy, and setup "sees" the content, but returns various errors - syntax errors, or other errors while trying to load the driver.

I did find the following KB on Microsoft's website, but still wondering if someone has a method for getting this to work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234536/en-us

I couldn't find any other documents on Microsoft's website which I could get working. If there is a certain KB/page which I should reference, please let me know.