modem problem!

NewC

Am trying to connect my old Dell Inspiron 1200 to a LAN and am having problems but I'm not sure what exactly is wrong.

My lappy opens new hardware wizzard when I start up and have the LAN cable plugged in, the wizzard continues but claims it cant find the required driver to install for the PCI modem.

I have a Conexant RD02-D110 modem.

I found and tried to run a file called HXFSetup in a Conexant file, but it comes up with the error:

Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the XXXX device for this driver.

My (simpleton) analysis of this problem is that the driver cant find the modem and the modem cant find the driver! Is that right?! And if so what is the soln??

Thanks.

my first question is why are you using a modem to connect to your LAN? would you not use an ethernet (NIC) card?

How are you connecting? Are you dialing in remotely to your work, or are you connecting locally?

Before we go any further......

What you are describing is a modem which connects to a regular dial-up telephone network. It cannot connect to your LAN.

I have seen before inside laptops a custom card which has both a modem and ethernet interface on it - is this the kind in yours?

Oops... I assumed that because wizzard automatically looked for a modem driver when i connected the LAN cable that that was the problem.

My modem thingy could be a combined ethernet card too - i'll check and post back.

As for the local/remote question - I don't know. Its in a hotel, I plug an LAN cable from my laptop to a socket on the wall. So... local?