Is There A Way To Redirect "My" Folders?

Brando569

After using vista i liked the idea of redirecting a users "My Docs/Pics/Music" folders to another place instead of inside the users folder. I'm the only user on my computer and I like to have all my folders for that stuff on my D drive. Are there any hacks for this?

Yes, you can do it in the following to registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

If you're on a domain and want to do it for all users, it can be done with Group Policies.

I have an autoit script for it but you can easily modify it to a simple reg tweak it's something like this :

Regwrite ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" , "Personal", "REG_EXPAND_SZ" , "D:\My Documents")

Regwrite ( "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths" , "Administrator" ,"REG_SZ", "D:\My Documents")

Regwrite ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" , "Personal", "REG_SZ" , "D:\My Documents")

Regwrite ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" , "My Music", "REG_SZ" , "D:\My Documents\My Music")

Regwrite ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" , "My Music", "REG_SZ" , "D:\My Documents\My Music")

Regwrite ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" , "My Pictures", "REG_SZ" , "D:\My Documents\My Pictures")

Regwrite ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" , "My Pictures", "REG_SZ" , "D:\My Documents\My Pictures")

Regwrite ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" , "My Video", "REG_SZ" , "D:\My Documents\My Videos")

Regwrite ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" , "My Video", "REG_SZ" , "D:\My Documents\My Videos")