Win98SE based WLAN-ThinClient

BPoller

Yesterday

i tried out my "new" Win NT 4.0 Terminal Server (English Version) on MS Virtual PC 2007.

Facing no problems so far, i wanted to try a thin client. I looked for some free/open source software.

But i found that the Linux based clients were to difficult to install (for just testing) and finally i wanted to have a WLAN-ThinClient.

So i went to a friend with a 98lite prof licence (we used a german Win98SE, so i could not use winimize or the other free tools).

We prepared a Win98SE install on Virtual PC 2007:

* Win98SE german 98lite 4.7 Prof. SLEEK install (with some Win95 files, e.g. Shell)

* disabled everything except audio/video compression and audio support

* we got a Win98SE with no IE (size of WinDir ~60 MB)

* i installed German inoffical ServicePack 2.1d (now about 86 MB)

* i deleted the mdm*.* files of the /[windir]/inf directory (~80 MB)

* i installed the MS RDP Client V6

* i disabled the waste box, pagefile

While using Virtual PC 2007, i couldnt install a WLAN-Card. But it should not be a prob for a real system.

The system worked perfectly (with 80MB in size).

I could easily login to my WinNT4 Terminal Server and use the IE 6.0 SP1 remotly.

Now i want to set this "Fat" Thin Client on diet.

I only need the REMOTE DESKTOP and maybe some Printer support (as far there are drivers, after seeing HP "deleting" their Win98 drivers from homepage).

I am askin me, if anyone of u know such a project already, because that would save time by tryin my own or i could use some ideas of such a project.

Main target is a slim WinThin OS with WLAN support.

Also a website with tips for deleting unneeded Win98-files by hand would be cool.

If anybody know a easy-to-install Linux based ThinOS with WLAN Support, i would happy o hear from that.

I would like to the PCs from my kids with some low-power legacy PCs, because they mainly use them only for chatting and youtube. Maybe my NT Server is strong enough for my wife too (playing mostly some web-based games).