DHCP Problem

Nic H

Hi

I've got a working RIS server on a test network. DHCP is not installed on the RIS server and clients get their IP addresses from a scope on the test 2003 pdc.

I now need to move this server to our prod network, but the problem is that DHCP on prod network is still on a NT4 box. Will RIS still work?

If not and I decide to install DHCP on my RIS server as well, how can I force all workstations in the company to get IP from the old DHCP server and only RIS clients to get addresses from the DHCP scope on the RIS server?

I tried to test this on our test network by installing DHCP and creating a scope on the RIS server as well, but RIS clients still get their IP's from the scope on the pdc, not the RIS server.

Thanks for the help.

As you are no doubt aware, DHCP is done through a broadcast. So it doesn't matter where in your network the DHCP server is. Any DHCP server will respond to DHCP requests - NT, Linux, 2003 Server - doesn't matter. :wacko:

Hi

I've got a working RIS server on a test network. DHCP is not installed on the RIS server and clients get their IP addresses from a scope on the test 2003 pdc.

I now need to move this server to our prod network, but the problem is that DHCP on prod network is still on a NT4 box. Will RIS still work?

If not and I decide to install DHCP on my RIS server as well, how can I force all workstations in the company to get IP from the old DHCP server and only RIS clients to get addresses from the DHCP scope on the RIS server?

I tried to test this on our test network by installing DHCP and creating a scope on the RIS server as well, but RIS clients still get their IP's from the scope on the pdc, not the RIS server.

Thanks for the help.

yes, ris will still work.

dhcp requests will go to the dhcp server (nt4) and pxe requests will go to the ris server (2003).

you've even proved this yourself by installing dhcp on the ris server and it not responding to clients.