Windows Shell Problems

Jekill

Hi, I have a question,

In the last reinstallation of "win xp pro" operating system, after the setup of all the patches (after the sp2) and of IE 7.0, I encountered a problem with windows shell.

In little words, I use "windows classic" theme and, every two or three times that I restart the system, it reset to the normal theme.

If someone is aware of some problem with last patches and/or with internet explorer 7.0 installation, could help me, please?

Hi, Jekill.

when you say normal theme do you mean win2k classic? It's possible the theme service isn't start because the computer is lagging on startup or some kind of software conflict. make sure the service is set to automotic so it starts when windows does.

-gosh

when you say normal theme do you mean win2k classic? It's possible the theme service isn't start because the computer is lagging on startup or some kind of software conflict. make sure the service is set to automotic so it starts when windows does.

-gosh

Sounds like it was set to the Windows 2000-style theme then it randomly is set back to the default Windows XP theme.

I suppose it could deal with net framework 2.0 redistributable software and its four patches:

kb928365

kb922770

kb927891

kb917283

I noticed that the problem started after their installation and that only the third one is mentioned in control panel>aplications: kb927891.

The other seem like have never been installed... :wacko:

Thank you for the reply. As regards it, the service "themes" is set to automatic.

Now, I'll try to jump to a previous setup of win xp. I don't mind how to uninstall patches that I couldn't see through control panel.

Are you aware of a way to do it?

Hi, Jekill.

Edited by Jekill

If the folder for the hotfix exists in windows, just run the uninstall.

For example on my computer for KB824141 i have folder:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB824141$

in the folder Spuninst just run spuninst.exe

-gosh