Windows 2000 Logon Wallpaper w/ Unattended Installation

I'm having a weird issue with a certain registry tweak, and that is why I'm turning to the forum for help!

So, I am trying to make a Win2KProSP4 unattended installation disc. Everything is done and it works great, except for one little reg tweak! I'm trying to automatically set a wallpaper that is used on the Win2k logon screen. I figured out the exact key that I need to edit to do this, and that is:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]"Wallpaper"="pic.bmp"

So, to accomplish this, I am using a reg tweak that is ran using CMDLINES.TXT. The tweak file is correctly run as I will explain later on.

Now, when you edit the above file while actually logged in to your account, the correct wallpaper is displayed on the logon screen. Here is the weird part. When this tweak is ran during the installation, it changes the wallpaper of the desktop, and leaves the above registry entry untouched, not changing the wallpaper of the logon screen like it should. Even more weirdness, I have a second registry tweak in the same reg file that stretches the desktop to fit the resolution, and that one is correctly applied! So, I'm a bit stumped here. If anyone could provide any further insight on this, I would be very happy. I'm sure I'm just making a huge noobie mistake, I just cant figure out what it is! :wacko:

edit: And I can confirm that the correct .bmp is being copied over, as it is being displayed on the desktop instead of the logon screen.

Edited by AeroEric

This is a known issue. I've always assumed that the key is being overwritten at a later stage of the installation but I've never had the time to actually track down precisely where it is happening.

The only thing I can offer is the method I use which is to change the key using a .INF file from RunOnceEx.

This is a known issue. I've always assumed that the key is being overwritten at a later stage of the installation but I've never had the time to actually track down precisely where it is happening.

The only thing I can offer is the method I use which is to change the key using a .INF file from RunOnceEx.

Aha, thanks for the information on this. I think i'll just leave this be for now until there is more of a reason for me to further develop the disc and put RunOnceEx on it. As it stands right now, The unattended installation disc doesnt contain much, just the OS, SP4 and some registry tweaks. Thanks again!

The logon wallpaper comes from the default user profile. When you install win2k, it is running as the system account using the default profile. When you first logon, the default profile it copied and becomes your profile.

The easist way to change this would be in hivedef.inf, look for the setting for the wallpaper. Text mode setup uses the 5 or so hives to make the default registry (on a clean install, on an upgrade different portions of the hives are used, look at txtsetup.sif). So by changing the hive you change the default user.

i dont know if that answers your question...

-gosh

The logon wallpaper comes from the default user profile. When you install win2k, it is running as the system account using the default profile. When you first logon, the default profile it copied and becomes your profile.

The easist way to change this would be in hivedef.inf, look for the setting for the wallpaper. Text mode setup uses the 5 or so hives to make the default registry (on a clean install, on an upgrade different portions of the hives are used, look at txtsetup.sif). So by changing the hive you change the default user.

i dont know if that answers your question...

-gosh

Intriguing! I have found the file and setting you are referring to. I will definitely give this a shot in a bit and I will let you know the results. Thank you for your suggestion either way!

I was aware of this but after a brief period of using diff/patch to handle these

sort of changes I now avoid directly altering the hive files. As you are

probably aware it can cause problems with slipstreaming and updates etc.

A workaround would be to run patch after tailoring with nLite but any changes

to this part of the nLite profile can cause it to fail.