Win 98 explorer refuses to move certain files to other partition.

Sfor

I'm experiencing problems while trying to move folders to some other HDD partition. If there is a msvcrt.dll named file in the folder, the move operation stops on this file. I'm not sure how to translate the error message to english, anyways, it says the file is locked. In the target directory a msvcrt.dll file name is created (file is empty). Moving files operation stops at that moment.

The work around procedure is to copy the folder, then to delete the source.

Why the Windows 98 SE USP 2.1 (IE 6 SP1) acts so strangely?

The effect is not limited to msvcrt.dll files. It happens in some other cases, as well.

So does the Windows say with the error message. But, this is not possible. I can move the same folder by copying it, then deleting the source files. I would not be able to delete a file used by Windows, isn't it?

Also, how on earth Windows would lock all the msvcrt.dll files in all folders on all hard drives?

I was testing the issue copying around the folder found on the Windows 98 SE CD: add-ons\pws. But, the same effect gives an attempt to move any folder with an msvcrt.dll file in it. I can move the same folders around without any problems, if the operation is made on the same partition.

So does the Windows say with the error message. But, this is not possible. I can move the same folder by copying it, then deleting the source files. I would not be able to delete a file used by Windows, isn't it?

Also, how on earth Windows would lock all the msvcrt.dll files in all folders on all hard drives?

I was testing the issue copying around the folder found on the Windows 98 SE CD: add-ons\pws. But, the same effect gives an attempt to move any folder with an msvcrt.dll file in it. I can move the same folders around without any problems, if the operation is made on the same partition.

BTW, my favorite one is, Windows 98 SE lets me delete a file, but won't let me empty the recycle bin, it will immediately display "Error deleting file or folder Cannot delete x : Access denied" (or similar)

Has anyone else here been bitten by that bug?

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I can not remind a recycle bin related issue.

I've been experimenting with the msvcrt.dll problem. It does not always happen at the first attempt. But, when it starts, all folders with msvcrt file are affected till computer is restarted.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this happen. I wanted to install Office 97 from my HD rather than a questionable scratched CD. So I tried copying the Office files to my HD before install, and encountered it.

There is a solution, however: 'Zip' up the offending directories, then 'unzip' to the desired destination. Zipping up the entire system is also the best way to back up, clone, move, and restore a Windows 98-ME system. To restore, you only need a second HD with a functional Win98 system. Security features in Win2K and XP disallow this simple process. :(

All problems were gone, when I switched the system shell from Explorer to LiteStep.

It is possible to restore the Windows 98 using DOS, only. But, this requires a proper backing up process. If there are no file names with OEM code page untranslatable characters, it is possible to restore the system from DOS using LfnDosMS driver.

Edited by Sfor