$OEM$ from USB?

Is it possible to use the $OEM$ directory structure directly from a USB flash drive? I want to have all of my cusomization on a USB drive and use an origional Vista DVD to perform my installs.

Edited by Bezalel

Yes $OEM$ is supported - Microsoft recommend using a data image as the preffered replacement though.

In your WAIK/WSIM ensure that you have use configuration set value as true and save your unattend.xml file to autounattend.xml and place it in the root of the thumb drive.

Provided that use configurationset value is set to true in the file it will use the $oem$ structure and copy relevent files to the hard disk during the install process.

Gwido

Hey there Bezalel

either rename it to $oem$ or create a seperate $oem$ folder and port everything into that folder. I have found that in WSIM if you try and tell it it's to look in the "$oem$ folders" as created by the distribution share - it will not copy that information onto the local drive. It has to be setup in exactly the same way as the old XP structure

$oem$

$1

$$

etc....

I highly recommend using a data image where you capture just a folder of all the data you want to copy accross as a WIM file and in WSIM tell it to extract during your unattended install from auto / unattend.xml

Drivers are best injected into an offline image or captured in the WIM file as a part of the "technician machine" install. Remember when capturing your image that if your deploying to un standardised hardware to generalise the sysprep to strip the Hardware ID's so they are re-numerated during the boot process and OOBE etc... Bare in mind that if you generalise you MUST vista will only use WHQL drivers due to the re-enumeration and Vista's incistence on using "signed drivers".

If you are using standardised hardware then do not generalise your sysprep and the drivers will hold even if not WHQL certified.

If anyone has had other experiences on this I would be interested to know

Gwido