Remote session to local printer

cableghost

I would like to connect to a home printer from a remote session back into the office.

I am at home, connceted to my office PC via RDC. I want to know if there is anyway that during my remote session, I could connect to and print to my home printer.

---------------

Scott

This would be a bit of a kludge, but if the printer is TCP/IP-based you could VPN from your work PC into your home network and set up a printer on your work PC accordingly....

At least, it might work if I understand your requirements correctly.

if I understand your requirements correctly.

If I do, the printer is next to you at home but the files and applications you want to print from are running on a pc in your office. Right ?

On the RDC configuration dialog, go to the Local Resources tab and at the bottom under Local Devices select Printers. Then when you connect to the office the local printer will show up as an option on the remote desktop.

How fast it will print depends on available bandwidth and how neatly the printers driver handles a print job. A business class laser printer with a driver that just prints will be (flawlessly) quite fast. On the other hand if you have a (typical) Ink-jet that likes to send volumes of bidirectional data back and forth about every move the printer is/will or might make ... then chances are the print job will fail (assuming the print driver can actually manage to shut-up long enough to get wedged into the remote session.

Many of the better printer manufacturers will have two versions of their printer drivers available:

The "Home User" Natters like a Jewish Mother garbage version.

and the Corporate stick to bloody business and just print version.

I strongly recommend picking the 2nd (corporate) version just because it far less likely to crash your computer with some idiotic spool hanging eye-candy widget that some clod in marketing thought might entertain the user.